Personally I think the “Baseline Killer” or “Baseline Rapist” is innocent! The DNA wasn’t a good match. But the cops say he is a Black man with a criminal record who lives in Phoenix, so obviously he must be the criminal if you believe the racist cops.
New grand jury sought in 'Baseline Killer' case
Jul. 11, 2008 04:01 PM
Less than a month before Baseline Killer suspect Mark Goudeau is set to go on trial in the slayings of eight women and one man, his lawyer wants to send his murder case back to a grand jury.
Lawyer Rodrick Carter claims the grand jury that returned an indictment of Goudeau last year was biased. He said Friday it's likely the Aug. 6 trial date will be pushed back while a judge can decide the matter.
County Attorney Andrew Thomas said he will push to get a trial started as soon as possible.
“Our office will do its utmost to make sure this case moves forward to trial despite these last-minute efforts,” Thomas said in a statement.
Goudeau faces 74 criminal charges, including nine murder counts, stemming from a crime spree in 2005 and 2006 that police have attributed to the “Baseline Killer,” named for the south Phoenix street where many of the early attacks took place. He has pleaded not guilty.
The slayings were behind one of two serial murder investigations that put the Phoenix area on edge for months during the summer of 2006.
In addition to the Baseline Killer case, assailants dubbed the “serial shooters” were also on the loose. One of two men arrested in that case has pleaded guilty to two counts of murder. Samuel Dieteman agreed to testify against his co-defendant, Dale Hausner, who faces eight murder charges and has pleaded not guilty.
In court documents, Goudeau's lawyer pointed out that the grand jury forewoman was Goudeau's neighbor. During a Jan. 12, 2007, hearing, the forewoman told prosecutors that media reports about the killings made her scared of him.
The forewoman added that she was “prejudicial somewhat toward him,” according to court documents.
When prosecutor William Clayton asked her to elaborate, she said in front of other jurors that: “I was just — I'm scared because I'm thinking, you know, he was just like right on the street right next to me and if indeed, you know, (he) committed these things, it just — it made me scared to think I live nearby.”
Prosecutors point out in a response to Carter's request that the forewoman said during the hearing that she had not made her mind up about the truth of the allegations against Goudeau. The forewoman also said she could be impartial in the case.
Four days later, on Jan. 16, 2007, the grand jury returned an indictment against Goudeau.
Judge Warren Granville scheduled a hearing on Aug. 1 to discuss the issue.
The next trial for Goudeau will be his second in the Baseline Killer case. Goudeau was convicted last year of sexually assaulting two sisters — attacks also blamed on the Baseline Killer — and sentenced to 438 years in prison.
Of course for the “Serial Shooters” or “Serial Shooter” when they thought it was one guy I pretty much think they are guilty. Dale Hausner seems to be saying “I ain’t guilty! It was my wacko friend Samuel Dieteman who took my guns and my car and when out at night alone shooting people! I didn’t know a thing about it till we were arrested”. Of course that is not to say the cops didn’t violate their rights when they arrested them. The cops probably illegally searched their home and their car.
Suspected serial shooter pleads not guilty
Jul. 24, 2008 01:32 PM
Alleged serial killer Dale Hausner pleaded not guilty Thursday to attempted murder and aggravated assault charges from the latest case added to the Serial Shooter investigation.
Hausner, 35, and his brother, Jeff Hausner, 41, were both charged in the case. Authorities say the brothers allegedly attacked a man, stabbing him in May 2006 in west Phoenix.
The victim survived the attack. In addition to the charges from the May 2006 stabbing, Dale Hausner also faces eight murder charges stemming from a string of random attacks between 2005 and 2006. He has pleaded not guilty, however his alleged accomplice, former roommate Samuel Dieteman, pleaded guilty earlier this year to two murder charges.
Dale Hausner's trial is scheduled to begin Sept. 3.
Jeff Hausner pleaded guilty last year to an aggravated assault in the April 2006 stabbing of a different man. He was sentenced to 7 ˝ years in prison in that case.
New charge for Dale Hausner, brother
Jul. 17, 2008 06:27 PM
Accused serial shooter Dale Hausner is facing new charges, and his brother is being charged for the first time in the case.
A new indictment charges both Hausner and his brother, Jeff Hausner, with attempted first-degree murder relating to a May 2006 case in which a man was stabbed in west Phoenix.
The victim survived the attack. Last year, Jeff Hausner pleaded guilty to aggravated assault in the April 2006 stabbing of a different man. He was sentenced to 7˝ years in prison in that case.
The Maricopa County Attorney's Office says both stabbings are connected to the serial shootings case.
Dale Hausner and Samuel Dieteman were arrested in August 2006 and are accused of randomly shooting people in a string of attacks that terrorized the Phoenix metro area.
'Serial Shooter' wiretap will be allowed, judge rules
by Michael Kiefer - Jun. 2, 2008 03:27 PM
The Arizona Republic
A Maricopa County Superior Court judge ruled Monday that evidence obtained by emergency wiretap against "Serial Shooter" suspect Dale Hausner can be used in trial.
Judge Roland Steinle had already ruled to allow the wiretapped conversations in which Hausner and co-defendant Samuel Dieteman brag about a series of shootings that left eight people dead during a 14-month crime spree in 2005 and 2006.
But Hausner's defense attorney, Ken Everett, appealed that ruling and the Arizona Court of Appeals ordered Steinle to hold evidentiary hearings. At issue was the use of an emergency wiretap approved by Maricopa County Attorney Andrew Thomas. Phoenix Police sought out Thomas to sidestep the lengthier process of a conventional wiretap requiring approval by a Superior Court judge. And the conversations police overheard between Dieteman and Hausner gave them sufficient evidence to arrest the two in August 2006.
Among those who testified during the three hearings held in April and May were Thomas, Assistant Phoenix Police Chief Kevin Robinson, former Superior Court Presiding Criminal Judge James Keppel and investigators from the Phoenix Police Department and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
Throughout the frequently contentious hearings, Everett insisted that no emergency existed. Instead, he claimed, police were fishing for enough evidence to arrest Hausner, who still maintains innocence. Dieteman has pleaded guilty to two murders and has offered new evidence against Hausner.
Everett also insisted that law enforcement should have found a judge to approve the wiretap instead of Thomas.
"They coulda, shoulda, woulda been able to go to a judge at any second," he said in closing arguments Friday.
But detectives testified that they only learned about Hausner the night of Aug. 1, 2006, and followed him into the morning as he and Dieteman drove through East Valley neighborhoods, allegedly trolling for victims.
"At any moment, they could pull out a gun . . . and there was no way anyone could stop them," said Deputy County Attorney Laura Reckart during her closing argument. Everett had contended that they would be unable to shoot anyone while under surveillance.
Reckart, on the other hand, said that "a Code Red situation existed in Maricopa County," justifying the emergency wiretap.
Under Arizona law, such a wiretap can be approved only by the attorney general or a county attorney and must be signed by a judge within 48 hours.
Steinle wrote in his ruling that the affidavits had in fact been signed by Keppel within 48 hours; Keppel had also signed the search warrant that enabled police to install the wiretap late on Aug. 2, 2006. Dieteman and Hausner were arrested the next night at their Mesa apartment.
Steinle batted aside all arguments except whether a state of emergency existed to warrant the bug.
"They needed the emergency order to prevent another random shooting," Steinle wrote. "They needed to determine if the two individuals were planning another shooting in order to prevent the shooting. The intercepts would provide the officers with the discussions of the two individuals."
Steinle also rejected the theory that police could have prevented any shootings while following the suspects during surveillance. And he felt the detectives were convincing when they said that "a conventional wiretap request could not be obtained without more facts and in order to get it, it would have taken a great deal of time."